Railings, Stairwells, Welding, Cellar Doors, Window Covers
Is welding only done with a welding torch?
There are many other forms of welding which do not use a welding torch to connect materials. Ultrasonic welding uses high frequency vibration to connect thin metal sheets or plastics. There is also roll welding where two pieces are run through two high pressure rollers to clamp them together. Electricity can be used to weld metals but applications are a bit limited because the cost can be high.
Is soldering a form of welding?
The answer is both yes and no. Traditional welding is done by heating up two pieces of metal that become molten along an edge and are fused together. Soldering involves not heating up the two pieces of metal but melting a lower melting-point material between them to cause a joint. So, soldering is a form of welding as welding involves heat and connecting two different components but it is not strictly welding as it uses an intermediary to create a joint.
We don’t have to go through all of the types, just know that welders have
more than one way to make sparks fly.
How can I tell if someone is a welder?
Welding is a serious profession with no small amount of danger involved. However, everyone needs to be able to laugh at themselves no matter how dangerous their job. Here are a couple of good humor ways to assess if you are talking to a welder.
- They use a welding rod for chop sticks.
- They are sunburnt in winter.
- Their shirts, sneakers, and socks are ventilated.
- You find that they flick their head down when the sun gets in their eyes.
- They keep feeling for a knob on the back of their baseball cap.
- You say, “It’s Miller time!” and they grab their gloves and shield.
- They lay z-weave ketchup beads on their eggs or French fries.
Learn more about